Paddington Bear Class
- Norsheen Pervez
- Vanessa Higgibottom
- Kerry Brown
Welcome to Paddington Bear Class. We are a class of 7 pupils all with a diagnosis of ASD. We love to learn in a practical, sensory way and particularly like any physical activity and singing. The routines and structure in the class help us to stay focused and staff use a Total Communication approach to enable us to communicate with each other and to access our new 3D Curriculum. Social skills and independent learning are very important to us and this is a big part of our learning. We are a very happy class who enjoy a calm environment while engaging with creative activities.
Welcome to Summer 2. Our topic this half term is ‘Royals Rule. It is a History themed topic with a focus on ‘What is a King and Queen?’ We will be learning:
- English: We will be exploring the story of ‘Sleeping Beauty’, the children will be learning about the characters in the book and how sounds relate to the pictures. They will be focusing on wrist pivots for writing and using a range of tools for mark making.
- Phonics: We will continue to develop our knowledge and skills in rhythm and rhyme, instrumental sounds, environmental sounds and vocal sounds through practical and sensory experiences. We will be listening to the sounds related to Kings and Queens such as trumpets and horses and trying to copy the sounds we hear that are related to the story.
- Maths: In Maths we will be exploring the concept of coins through role play and will continue our learning of numbers. In Measurement we will be discovering change of time and sequencing of events by using real life scenarios and becoming more aware of ‘now’ and ‘next’. In Geometry we will extend our discovery of 2D shapes through matching and comparing big and small objects.
- Science: In science we will be learning about materials in the environment by building castles and exploring what natural materials are stronger for building. The children will be exploring a variety of sensory activities to support their understanding and develop their experimenting skills.
- History: We will be developing our understanding of historical events and significant people. The children will find out about Kings and Queens and learn about The Royal Family through role play and a range of practical activities.
- P.E.: P.E. will take place on Wednesday mornings. This half term will be Athletics and we will learning how to jump, throw and run in an intended direction. Our Monday afternoon session in the Top Garden will support our learning in class and we will practice our skills outside. Our continuous sensory circuit sessions in class will also enable us to transfer our physical skills and get to know how our bodies can move.
School will have a continued focus on ‘Outside Learning in all Weathers’ this year, with this in mind if possible please ensure that on each day your child has a suitable coat and footwear for the weather conditions
- If your child is absent please phone the school office as soon as possible.
- If you have any messages for the teacher please put it on Class Dojo.
- A medical notification form needs to be completed for medical appointments during school time please, so that your child’s attendance percentage is not affected.
- P.E. will take place on Wednesdays; please send in your child’s P.E. kit at the beginning of the half term. We will send it home during the holidays.
- Any further information about trips or additional activities will be sent home as and when they arise.
Dates for your diary:
Upcoming events this half term include:
- Thursday 1st July/Friday 2nd July – Sports Day
- Thursday 8th July – Year 6 sleepover
- Friday 16th July – Tea Party
- Monday 19th July – Year 6 Leavers Assembly Phase 1
(Please note that details for the above events are to be confirmed)
Home / School Communication
Promote communication & independence appropriate to the level of your child, this may include the use of signs, symbols or spoken communication, feeding themselves, putting on their own coat & shoes.
Please see Family Homework sheet for specific topic related homework
If you are learning from home, complete the Remote Home Learning Activities and upload photos and videos for feedback on Class Dojo.
As part of our Covid-secure procedures, we are unable to issue home-school diaries this year. Government guidance say's that schools must quarantine any books that come into school from home for up to 72 hours. All home-school communication will therefore need to move over to Class Dojo. You should expect to receive home-school communication from your child's class team approximately three times per week. This will provide a fine balance between staff workload and their well-being whilst ensuring you are kept regularly up-to-date on your child's experience in school. We must however politely remind parents/carers that staff will not be expected to read and/or respond to any Class Dojo messages in the evenings, at weekends or during the school holidays.
Thank you to those parents who have already signed up for this - your child's class team will be in touch if you have not yet logged in.
There is normally member of the class team available to speak to between 8:15 - 8:40 am or 3:00 - 3:30 pm, please phone the school office and ask for a member of staff from the class if you wish to speak to us.