Harry Potter Class
- Charlotte McIlvenna
- Marie Fay (Mon - Wed)
- Rebekah Preston (Wed - Fri)
Harry Potter Class is a lively and exciting place to be. We are always excited to learn and ask questions, we love to laugh and play together, we are all great friends. We are happiest being active and independent in our learning and always work hard with Lisa our teacher and Marie, Charlotte and Rebekah our teaching assistants.
Welcome back everyone! Hope you have enjoyed your break.
Our topic this half term is Royals Rule this term we will be learning:
- English: We will be learning new sounds and using our knowledge of sounds in order to blend to read and segment to spell! We will be reading ‘You wouldn’t want to be Cleopatra’, focusing on the vocabulary within the story and developing our comprehension skills. We will then answer questions based on what we have learnt from the story.
- Maths: We will deepen our knowledge of number through learning fractions, additions and subtraction, and money. We will be recognising and using money when completing addition and subtraction problems. We will be practically and pictorially recognising halves and quarters when learning about fractions.
- Science: We will be focusing on the human body specifically on diets and what is healthy or unhealthy for our bodies. This will deepen our knowledge of the different food groups and nutrition. We will then explore the growth of plants, what is needed for them to grow, and how they reproduce. Towards the end of term we will deepen our knowledge of liquids, gases and solids.
- P.E.: will now take place on Wednesday afternoons, please ensure your child has a suitable P.E. Kit consisting of a t-shirt, shorts or joggers and pumps or trainers. We will be learning about throwing and jumping, through exploring a variety of throwing techniques, we will also be practising for sports day.
- Art and design: We will begin the term by researching famous sculptures and their work. We will then look at sculptures from Ancient Egypt, the children will have the opportunity to give their preference and opinion of each sculpture and discuss the different techniques used, this will lead onto the children designing and producing there own sculptures in an Ancient Egyptian style. To end this term we will look at art work depicting Pharos and produce their own piece of work based upon Tutankhamun.
History: We will be developing our knowledge of Egypt nowadays and Ancient Egypt, we will observe artefacts,
Please send in a spare set of clothes which we can keep for this purpose as the children may get very wet and muddy. As we intend on continuing outdoor learning throughout all weather conditions, please be mindful of the weather and dress children appropriately.
We use the forest school site as an extension of the classroom to help enhance positive learning experiences. We also have PE on Wednesday afternoons, please ensure that children come into school in their PE kits!
Please send social fund contribution (£6) into school as soon as possible to enable us to cook and provide daily snack.
We always participate in outdoor learning, whatever the weather, so can you please send a pair of wellington boots your child can keep at school. As well as a hat and gloves when necessary, or indeed sun-cream and a hat.
Dates for your diary:
Upcoming events this half term include:
- Friday 2nd July – Sports Day @ 1.15pm
- To be confirmed – Meet new teachers/teaching assistant
- Thursday 8th July – Year 6 sleepover @ the Hive
- To be confirmed – Year 6 Leavers/ end of year awards
Home / School Communication
CLASS DOJO Lisa, Charlotte, Marie and Rebekah will be posting regular updates in terms of activities in class, along with updates on children’s learning experiences! If you require a new sign-up sheet, please let a member of the class team know!
HOW YOU CAN SUPPORT LEARNING AT HOME - Please see this terms Family Homework sheet and class dojo for specific topic related homework.
As part of our Covid-secure procedures, we are unable to issue home-school diaries this year. Government guidance say's that schools must quarantine any books that come into school from home for up to 72 hours. All home-school communication will therefore need to move over to Class Dojo. You should expect to receive home-school communication from your child's class team approximately three times per week. This will provide a fine balance between staff workload and their well-being whilst ensuring you are kept regularly up-to-date on your child's experience in school. We must however politely remind parents/carers that staff will not be expected to read and/or respond to any Class Dojo messages in the evenings, at weekends or during the school holidays.
Thank you to those parents who have already signed up for this - your child's class team will be in touch if you have not yet logged in.
There is normally member of the class team available to speak to between 8:15 - 8:40 am or 3:00 - 3:30 pm, please phone the school office and ask for a member of staff from the class if you wish to speak to us.