- Jackie Bladon
- Martin Beard
Australia Class is made up of 12 children and 3 Adults, Lisa, Martin and Jackie. We are a Key Stage 2 class which stretches over Year 4, 5 and 6. We are all unique and have our own interests. We enjoy creative activities and we are learning to work together to improve our independence. We love going out into the community, especially going to Forest Schools. We are always working on our communication and love to talk to others about our interests. Our favourite thing of all is to learn with our friends in an exciting and creative way!
Welcome to another busy term in Australia Class, this is always a busy time of year and this year is no exception! Our Topic this half term is “Celebrations + Space – the Final Frontier”.
* In English we will be listening to a range of stories linked to our topic. We will explore fiction and non-fiction books linked to Space and we will be creating our own non-fiction book about space. We will be retelling stories related to different celebrations, creating letters and working on communicating effectively with our friends.
* In Maths we will be doing lots of work with numbers looking specifically at combing groups of objects to make a total. We will also be exploring position and direction with a particular focus on prepositions.
* In Science we will be focusing on scientific thinking – particularly predicting what we think might happen and exploring light and dark.
* P.E is an incredibly important to the well-being of Australia Class as such we have PE on a Monday morning and on Tuesday afternoon. Tuesday afternoon’s session is a joint session with Brazil and China class focussing on games and competition.
As a school and a class, we are committed to delivering learning in different environments; both inside and outside. So far this year this has been fantastic and we want to continue this into the warmer months. It would be useful for children to still bring coats and wellies if possible. As we want to make sure they’re prepared for the elements!
Wednesday Morning will also be Tennis at Derby Tennis Centre. Please could you ensure that your child has the correct PE kit (shorts, t-shirt and pumps), please can you put your child’s name on their clothes.
Please send social fund contribution (£6) into school as soon as possible to enable us to cook and provide daily snack.
As winter is now approaching please send a pair of wellington boots your child can keep at school. As well as a hat and gloves when necessary.
Home / School Communication
Home School Diaries
Your child has a home school diary for communication. You can expect a message from school at least 3 times a week, you are welcome to write to us as often as you chose. Messages from school will focus on academic work but if there is something specific you would like us to comment on, such as food eaten, please let us know and we will do our best to accommodate this.
Thank you to those parents who have already signed up for this - we hope you are enjoying the insights into your child’s time at school. You can expect at least 1 photograph a week of your child in class as well as them receiving ‘Dojo Points’ daily. I will resend login details for those still wishing to sign up.
There is normally member of the class team available to speak to throughout the day, please phone the school office and ask for a member of staff from Ireland Class if you wish to speak to us.
Dates for your diary
Upcoming events this half term include:
- 24th September - Family homework (9:30-11:00)
- 28th September - MacMilan coffee afternoon (14:00)
- 11th October - Family workshop (14:00)
- 15th October - Harvest assembly (13:45)
- 16th October - World food day
- 22nd October - SEND plan meetings
- 26th October - Headteacher's assembly (1:30)